Thursday, September 4, 2014

3 Years

It has been 3 year since I have stepped foot in a studio.

Actually 3 years and 3 months.

I started dancing when I was 3 years old.

When I was in 2nd grade (8 years old) I gave it up, only to start back up 2 years later.

IMG_1265[1]

And I didn’t stop dancing until 2011.

This has been the longest time I have gone without dancing since I was born.

But in 2011 I was burnt out, I was teaching and I wasn’t enjoying it. I was trying (unsuccessfully) to get pregnant again. Adam was looking for a new job. It was just time for a break.

Then I did get pregnant. And for the last 2 years I have been wrapped up in all things Charlie.

But lately I’ve noticed my body is changing. Those strong legs I had always just had were turning into mush and that was not ok. And I was starting to miss pointing my toes, turning, balancing, dancing.

So I contacted a studio I had taken classes at when I was first married (and not teaching) and found an adult ballet class on Wednesday nights.  8-9pm  was the perfect time since Charlie would be in bed. I was excited, I was going to dance again, for me.

Last night I opened my dance drawer and pulled out some tights and and a leotard and when I slipped into them it felt like home. I quickly wrapped my hair in a bun and off I went to Beginning ballet.IMG_1258[1]

The class was very simple, but that’s all my body can handle at this point. When it  was finished I was out of breath and my body was screaming, but I thanked the teacher and thought I can still do this, I will do this and I can’t wait to do it again.

IMG_1267[1]

I would love to get back to teaching someday. Maybe when Charlie is a little older and taking classes herself. But for now I am going to be taking class for me.

My one life goal has always been to teach ballet when I am 80 years old. Here’s hoping that in 45 years I can do it! Now I’m off to find some ibuprofen so I can walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment