Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Pillow Talk

We have been loving our new living room furniture! On top of some re-arranging and adding some new custom pieces I’ve been looking for fabrics to make pillows for the couch and chair.  Originally I was also going to slip cover the coffee table, but after a few weeks, I’m getting used to the table and we’re going to stick with it as is…for now.

I began my fabric search at fabric.com and found a bunch of prints I liked.  I had decided I wanted use the pillows to pull in green from the lamps and some of my pottery pieces in that room.  But I also wanted strong black and white graphic prints.  Not knowing and feeling what exactly the fabric was I ordered 8 different 1/2 yard pieces.

Fabrics

I Loved all these prints…but knew that I would have to choose which to use.  The 1st one-the green was off.  The 2nd one wasn’t upholstery fabric and the print was tiny.  The 3rd Was a big contender.  4th-the blue was off and it also was too light weight of a fabric-as was the middle one.  the solid green Almost made the cut, but in the end the green was just a little off.  The bottom Gray is one of my favorites-It’s a Dwell print (a fancy design catalog archidorks like me like to peruse). The last one on the bottom was the one Adam disliked the most. But it was the one that looked the best.

The print on it is large and the color blue is almost a perfect match to the walls. The green is soft and spring like and the fabric almost has a sheen to it. 

But problem is…we can’t just have one print.

I quickly tried mixing and matching and just couldn’t find two I liked together.

PA310354

I also deiced that as much as I loved the Mint Julep I wanted it to go on the chair as a little lumbar pillow.  I think it helps with the fact that the chair cover is natural and not white.

PB020362

So I went back to the website to see if there were any “coordinating” fabrics for our Waverly Mint Julep fabric.  Luck would have it there were some…but only one that really had the colors I was looking for.

It was perfect. It had various shades of green and some blue…but it wasn’t as graphic as I’d hoped for.

image

So I kept looking. 

Finally I decided on these 4 fabrics in addition to the Mint Julep.

imageimage

imageimage

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

From there I played mix and match to find what 2 I liked.

ALL

Finally after talking with Adam I threw out the the white lattice feeling that the colors were just off. And we both decided on the striped (which I’ll sew into a square) with the multi-color fabric. 

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

And just to be safe I ordered and 1/2 yard of the green and white I beam print…just in the off chance something doesn’t work. And Luckily Fabric.com will allow returns (with free shipping) on the fabrics I didn’t want to keep! (I kept the dwell and the black and white print)

So that’s where we are for now with the living room. Adam is busy finishing up the end tables. We had a productive and busy weekend. More on that to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment