Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Light Activity and 34 Weeks

Yesterday I was given the green light to go back to work! At 34 weeks the Drs. won’t do anything to stop labor, so at this point I’m good to go.  I am allowed light activity and since I sit at a desk all day, work is ok. I still am not allowed any exercise or heavy lifting. I will finish out the week at home and then go into the office on Monday :)
I am feeling good and more pregnant as the weeks roll on.  Speaking of rolling, that is what I must do now to get out of bed or off the couch…my abs can no longer propel me up.
34 weeks
Another aspect we discussed at the Drs. yesterday was Charlie’s Breach position.  At 34 weeks, while she still could turn, it’s not as likely.  He gave us the option of doing a external cephalic version at 37 weeks, but Adam isn’t on board.  I’d like to get the opinion of my OB friend, Krista. Second opinions are always good and I'm lucky to have a close friend I can ask. I will continue to try and do some exercises to get her to turn, but he told us to start getting used to the idea of a c-section. It would be scheduled at 39 weeks.
34 weeks
Actually a c-section doesn’t scar me as much as normal child birth.  While I might have a slight feeling that I’ve missed out on something special, I feel like this route would be easier for me on my nerves and anxiety.  I am really nervous about giving birth. I keep telling people I don’t want to be there for it. I want to give birth like Betty Draper; get knocked out and then wake up with lipstick on to a beautiful clean swaddled baby.  But I’m pretty sure it’s no longer 1960 and they don’t do twilight births anymore.
Whatever happens will happen. We truly believe whatever God has planned for us will be the right route. But we’ll just have to wait and see if I have to face my fears or sport a scar.
Despite all that we’re getting very excited. Charlie’s crib arrived, a gift from Grandma (my mom) and Adam set it up all ready making sure everything was tight and secure. Her nursery is coming along and really looks cute. As soon as I go back to work, we’ll get rid of the stuff I’ve been using for my office and can get started on the textiles and décor.
My mom is here helping out until after my shower.  She has cleaned and cooked and sewed and mended and filled Charlie’s closet with an obscene amount of little dresses. I am so lucky that she is able to do this, because I really don’t think I would have been able to get to all she’s done. We’re blessed in so many ways.
We hope everyone has a safe and fun Halloween.
Boo!

2 comments:

  1. I hope it's not weird that I'm commenting - I've read your blog for a while, but have never commented...just thought I could give my 2 cents about the breach thing. My son was breach right about the same time as you - and my doctor talked with me about the "version" thing too and it freaked me out! I went online when I got home and read tons of midwife message board suggestions and tried almost all of them (some were just ridiculous, like squatting nekkid over a flashlight, ha!). Anyhow, I did try one thing - doing somersaults and handstands in a pool. The somersaults were tough and made me too dizzy, but I did quite a few handstands and just sort of floated around and tried to nudge my belly a bit. I remember it being something about gravity and being weightless in the pool. Anyway, I went around 6pm in the evening and at 10pm that night I felt like there was an octopus in my belly and at my next appt. doc confirmed he had flipped around! He was flabbergasted, but said those midwives know what they are talking about :) (I still ended up with a c-section but that's another story).
    Anyway, it worked for me! Just wanted to share :) Best of luck to you mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the input! I tried a bunch of weird things too, but she's still breach-and i'm really ok with the c-section now. Also it's not weird that you comment. I read blogs all the time and never comment-no biggie :)

    ReplyDelete