Friday, September 9, 2011

Adams Birthday Cake

Yes, his birthday was two weeks ago, but i said previously, I promised him a cake.  And not just any cake, schwarzwälder kirschtorte.  He loves this cake. I think mostly because there’s booze in it, but it really is a wonderfully schrumpshish treat.

I’ve only made this cake twice.  after our Honeymoon to Germany and never finding anything as good as what Gabi had made when I first went to Germany, I began looking for recipes.  Also my mom was coming to visit for her birthday and I knew she enjoyed it so I thought I’d make it for her.  But first i had to do a test run, which was a major success and hit with Adam and our test dummies Tara & Alex.

With Adam coming, and staying, home today it was time to make his cake.  After work I headed to Publix, in the rain, to get what i needed.  As i rolled into the canned fruit aisle i found that there were only two cans of cherries left! Dinged up dented cans, but i needed to so I grabbed them and moved on.  Then i got to the dairy section and realized there was 1 bottle of butter milk left!  Man, talk about lucky!  After grabbing the rest of my ingredients and some red wine I headed home to begin the long process of making this cake.

First thing of course is to mix your dry ingredients. Wait…did you think i was going to give you the recipe? Ha! I may have already in an earlier post, but this time…you’re going to have to come over to try it. This is my 3rd time and it’s officially my “thing”. Anyway, so i do the dry ingredients and go to the butter, (or is it shortening? I'm sneaky) sugar part and i realize we are out of sugar!! UGGGGGG I have 1/4 cup LESS than i need. So i turn off the oven and the apron and hop in the car for a trip to 7-11. Luckily they have sugar and it’s not $10/lb.

Back at home I finish up the cake. While it cooks i do my 1st sink of dishes then curl up on the couch with my wine and the new issue of Redbook that just came in the mail.  40 minutes later cakes done, time to cool.  20 minutes later I try to take them out of the pans…Tampa we have a problem. The top of one cake has decided to stick to the wire rack and break up. Not good when 2 cake need to become 4.  So i smoosh it together and let if finish cooling.

Another 20 minutes pass and it’s now time to slice and soak.  This is where the booze comes in and the part that i realize I probably should have bought more Kirsch. Luckily i have just enough thanks to the 1/2 pint Adam bought before our trip up to the tallest point in eastern Switzerland.  Which by the way was passed among us and our friends…germs…nah.

Next comes the filling.  This requires 1 tsp strong brewed coffee.  Remember I gave up coffee. Well I still have it in the house so i pull out the espresso maker and make a pot to get 1 measly tsp.  With the coffee made and the filling complete I begin to assemble this leaning tower of  Tampa cake.  It goes cake, filling (which is sticky and thick) cherries then cake….three times. 

After that it’s time to wash the KitchenAid for a 2nd time, yes this is a 3 time mixer washing cake!  I whip up the 2 cups of heavy cream, add some more kirsch and finish by frosting the tops & sides.  Good thing there’s extra cause a large blob lands on my foot and I get to lick the spoon, but not my foot-that’s gross. 

Finally it’s time to make the cake pretty. Any left over cherries are added and some chocolate is shaved on top.  It’s not the prettiest looking cake, but trust me when i tell you it is good!  If you’re in town this weekend please come over and have a slice.  Just be warned: German rule-You should be tipsy when you stand after eating a piece.  That or you’ll have the sugar shakes.

Happy 32nd Birthday Adam! Now hurry up and get home so you can eat this cake!!

IMG_7415 IMG_7416 IMG_7417 IMG_7418

Is your mouth watering yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment