Monday, August 1, 2011

Boycott

Last week I did something drastic.  I boycotted dinner. well not the meal-the preparing of the meal.

You see the week before I was in the kitchen after a day at work frantically putting together our dinner. Well not frantically, but I was hungry and had 3 pots going and was trying to do like I always do and put together a nice meal. Adam was on the computer in the guest room.  If you don’t know the kitchen and guest room are adjacent. the door opens into the kitchen opening…so basically it’s right there.

Anyway. I asked for help. twice. He said yes.I waited. I did it myself. I am convinced he’s deaf or he’s really bad at reading and listening and doing 12 things at once. Seriously the boy, yes boy, turns off when he’s “plugged in” (I get it now mom).

And anyhow, I had had it. I told him that I wasn’t lifting a finger next week and he was making dinner.  We both work all day (me in an air conditioned office sitting at a pc, him in a hot dirty shop on his feet in front of large machines) and it’s not fair that I’m the only one who seems to care about getting a nice dinner on the table asap.

Monday morning comes and I remind him to take whatever meat he’s cooking out of the freezer for dinner. (I told him no bachelor meals-we need a Protein, starch and veggie)  Monday night I come home to my husband cooking away in the kitchen.  I sat down and watched entertainment tonight.  Then when he called me to the table … I waited a minute or so before I got up. ha! I’m so mean. Adam had made bbq chicken, buttered noodles and veggies…not bad.

Wednesday (He’s not home Tue/Thur nights) We had marinated steaks on the grill, French fries, cauliflower, portabella mushrooms and a salad with lots of fruit.  Feeling slightly guilty (I am catholic) I stopped at Publix and bought some wine and a bouquet of flowers for him. but this did make me late and he called to see where I was. More guilt.

By Friday I was MISSING cooking and told him to make the salmon that we had bought fresh before it went bad.  Well around 4’oclock we decided to go to Tara’s for dinner. So Adam picked me up and brought his marinating salmon and veggies…and I told Tara….don’t worry, Adam will cook. And he did! She was very impressed (and I think scared her fiancé when she told him of our arrangement!)

To be honest though I missed the control of deciding what I was eating.  I like cooking meals for my husband and he really is a fantastic husband. I know if I asked he’d do it every week.  It was really hard for me to sit there and not help or look over his shoulder and we’ve found that we (he) don’t do to well together in the kitchen; He’s stubborn impatient-I’m bossy  particular.  So we’ll go back to the way we were…or maybe we’ll take turns…I just hope that we can continue our path together as teammates and help each other out when we need it so as not to have to succumb to temper tantrums boycotting.

No comments:

Post a Comment