Monday, July 11, 2011

New Toys

Sunday was a project day around the Young House.  And with the help of a couple new toys our projects were a success!!
First off my new toy is this contraption:
image
I was reading a blog where in the lady was making a quilt and was cutting it using a cutting mat and a straight edge. GENIUS! I have both a cutting mat and a straight edge (what’s up 3 years of MAarch program!) and a boat load of exacto knifes. So while making a quilt for baby Wilson I pulled out the beat up mat and grabbed my exacto.  It worked pretty     good. 
IMG_6715
Then I got the Joann’s flier.
I don’t normally look at it, I just cut out the coupons.  But there was this picture of a cutting mat and this rolling razor blade thingy. 
Light bulbs went off!
So on Sunday when we headed to Joann’s to get fabric for baby Young’s quilt I ventured into the scissor aisle and picked up my very own Rotary Cutter…for $7 @ 40% off of course Smile
Back at home I pressed the fabrics then pulled our the cutting mat.  I counted 4” lined up my straight edge and rolled away. 
I yelled to Adam “This thing is AWESOME! It’s SO easy!  I can do 4 layers of fabric at a time!!”
I was excited.  Why oh why have I been cutting by hand for the last 11 years??? I beamed as I stacked my PERFECT little squares of fabric and even more so when I laid them all out.
IMG_20110710_135402
Oh! and check out the cute fabric Uncle Adam chose:
IMG_20110710_135411
The man goes crazy over monkeys and penguins. What can say…?
Now I have to note that just because I had perfect 4” squares my ability to sew them all perfectly lined up did not improve. Blame it on D'nealian ha ha or my entry level sewing machine, It didn’t come out perfect, but it is super duper cute and will hopefully coordinate well with their jungle themed nursery. Now if we just knew what baby was!!!?
IMG_6730
Ok-On to Mr. Adam…
Adam's new toy is a Orbital Sander. 
image
He informed me that we had to get one to sand the table between layer of Lacquer and that he NEEDED this fancy schmancy $100 sander. Gulp. But being the thrifty deal searching wife I found one for him at Sears for .. $35. No it’s not the fancy one he wanted with it’s own generator-but it would do what we needed.
So while I was busy sewing my squares Adam was out on the patio sanding down the table top.  It worked pretty well and removed most of the groves/buildup from the lacquer. 
IMG_6726
When he finally applied the last coat we w.a.i.t.e.d hours to touch it, but when finally we could it is nice and smooth (in most spots).  The table looks great! We decided to keep with the gloss finish instead of the satin.  It is so pretty and shiny and ..seriously folks we can’t stop ooing and ahhing.  It’s still in pieces…and not 100% done, but I’ve informed a few friends that there will be a dinner party in August.  I can’t wait to share the final reveal with you. It’s been a long time coming…but it will be worth the wait.
We hope you all had a splendid weekend.  Back to the Grind…(not)Happy Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment