Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Benedict

Eggs, that is. I love Eggs Benedict.  If we’re out for breakfast and it’s on the menu I find it very difficult to order anything else.  I even find it hard to steer away from the traditional and order a “house special” Benedict.

For those who are not in the know Eggs Benedict is actually quite simple. An English muffin, a slice of Canadian bacon, a poached egg and some hollandaise sauce.

image

Anyway-until recently if I wanted to poach an egg at home (to make eggs benedict, I would use a makeshift poacher that my dad showed me…Muffin tins.  Not many people know this, but Gary is pretty stellar in the Kitchen.  His degree is actually in Restaurant Management and he’s worked as a chef-he’s got a nice big scar on his forearm as proof.  So when they were visiting once we had eggs benedict (according to mom he can make a killer hollandaise sauce) and he demonstrated using the muffin tins to poach the eggs by placing them in a shallow pan with water.  Perfect cute little poached eggs. 

Now while this worked to satisfy my eggs benedict addiction I still wanted a proper egg poacher like my mom had…but seeing as our cupboards space is limited I’ve held off.  Until I was perusing the back of The Bitchen Kitchen and came across these little cuties.

EGG POACHERS1

I purchased 4 of these silicon egg poachers (cheap) that you just drop in a pan of boiling water and 6 min later you have a poached egg! and they take up no space since they stack and they’re flexible.  They’re great! I love them and have been having fun making “eggs Benedict” on the weekends.  Why the quotes? well Canadian bacon isn’t cheap and we don’t always have hollandaise sauce on hand (which I make from a Knoll packet!) so I’ve been making it any which way I can.  Here are a couple that we’ve tried and enjoyed.

Hawaiian Benedict: Hawaiian Sweet Roll, Bacon, Poached Eggs, Hollandaise sauce

Pretzel Benedict: Pretzel Roll, Spinach, Poached Egg, Ricotta Dijon Sauce

Has anyone else have fun mixing up the traditional dish? I still favor the original-but it’s fun to mix it up with what’s on hand and our new little cups make it even easier!

And finally-Happy Birthday Dad! The Hollandaise King!

No comments:

Post a Comment