Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Book Club Updates


I'm hosting book club tonight so I thought I'd get caught up on what we've read, haven't read, since the summer.

Matilda Savich by Victor Lodato


I enjoyed this book.  It was different, sometimes slow, but an interesting story told from by young character Mathilda.  I wasn't at the meeting, so I'm not sure what the others thought about it.  It deals with a young girl and he life in the wake of her sisters death.



The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway
 
 
Interesting read.  I didn't quite finish the book, but it did make me want to drink a lot since that's all the characters do.  The book played out like a movie from the 50's; weak plot/story line, but interesting characters. 
 
The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson
Good read! I would recommend this one.  Maybe it's because it's about the building of a city w/i and city and I'm an architect. but there is the second story of murder/mystery....the only down fall...it gets a bit drawn out.  It's historical "Fiction based on fact" so that is very interesting. 

I Am Charlotte Simmons by Tom Wolfe
We refered to this book as the bible, as it was over 600 pages long!! We read a book a month.  I didn't finish it and renewed it 3 times before being told i had to bring it back...I plan on finishing it!  I also did not attend the meeting, but heard that a lot of people didn't finish and those who did, didn't care for the ending.  I did enjoy the book though.  At times it got a little to descriptive and it could use a 300 page edit.  But it made me reminisce my college days and I think we all related.


The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver

I was still reading the previous book up until this meeting.  I didn't even get the book nor know the name.  I still went to the meeting to see what it was about...and basically margaritas were served (it was a Mexican themed book) and there wasn't much discussion. oops.  But those who read it-I think liked it???

Still Missing by Chevey Stevens


I chose this book.  I wanted a mystery.  The book I chose wasn't available on audio. (Sacred) Neither were the other books I chose.  Finally I found this one.  It was ok. The writing was def. less "Literary" than the last 4 selections.  It was a quick read, but i felt slightly predictable and while the ending was "surprising" i wasn't that all effected by it nor surprised.  I've heard from others that they didn't care for it and were slightly freaked out...guess I'm not as much a scardey cat as i thought...but we'll see tonight what the verdict was.

Anyone have any good recommendations for books?

No comments:

Post a Comment