Thursday, January 23, 2014

Thursday Thoughts–Signs

I saw this picture reposted a few times today on Facebook with the following caption: “A cardinal is a representative of a loved one who has passed. When you see one, it means they are visiting you. They usually show up when you most need them or miss them. They also make an appearance during times of celebration as well as despair to let you know they will always be with you. Look for them, they'll appear.” –Gordon Matson1501359_10201248714008187_747829980_o

And it really resonated with me. Why? Well after my Grandma Hamel died my mother said that every time she see’s a Cardinal she knows it’s grandma. Cardinals were her favorite bird.

Since then every time I’ve seen one, I’ve thought of her. I know all my grandparents are looking down and watching over me. But do you really think that a bird appears as a sign of that loved one? Is it really their spirit? Or is it just coincidence?

Personally I do believe that people can come back in some way or another. (I’m convinced that Joseph and Marina where lovers in a former life) And I feel peace when I see those Red birds at the most random moments, when I’d least expect it. My grandma and I had a special bond and I still have the most vivid dreams about her and her house. So yes, that random red cardinal sitting on the tennis court fence outside my window, not the other side or end of the court, is my grandma looking in at me and my family. She's checking in that everything is going ok and by being visible she’s letting me know that she’s still there if I need her. That even in those hard times, it will be ok.

What do think? Is there something that you see as a sign…that is something more than it is? What connects you with those who have passed? It’s an interesting thought.  I guess my red cardinal brings peace to a lot of other people too.

images

Grandma

(On a side note, for those of you who know me well know how ironic it is that I find peace when I see a cardinal. I hate birds and am pretty afraid of them. But that’s just more proof that it’s grandma and not some stupid bird waiting to peck my eyes out!)

No comments:

Post a Comment