Friday, March 16, 2012

Read this, See this.

Read this:
This month I am hosting book club, so I got to choose the book.  I had a recommendation from a co-worker, but in the end chose a book that I had forgotten about that I had put on our list 2 years ago:
The Forgotten Garden, by Kate Morton.
image
Go Read this Book! It was so good, so enjoyable, such a nice book to get wrapped up in.  I call it The Secret Garden for grown ups-part mystery, part family saga, a little bit of Titanic Romance. At first I was weary since it was almost 600 pages and we only have 4 weeks to read it, but I finished the book in 9 days.
The first few pages I was a little worried…didn’t really grab me, but after I got into a few chapters I was hooked and was reading it when ever I could-I had a hard copy and an electronic so it was always with me. 
Here is the summary from the book to entice you more:
A tiny girl is abandoned on a ship headed for Australia in 1913. She arrives completely alone with nothing but a small suitcase containing a few clothes and a single book—a beautiful volume of fairy tales. She is taken in by the dockmaster and his wife and raised as their own. On her twenty-first birthday, they tell her the truth, and with her sense of self shattered and very little to go on, "Nell" sets out to trace her real identity. Her quest leads her to Blackhurst Manor on the Cornish coast and the secrets of the doomed Mountrachet family. But it is not until her granddaughter, Cassandra, takes up the search after Nell’s death that all the pieces of the puzzle are assembled. A spellbinding tale of mystery and self-discovery, The Forgotten Garden will take hold of your imagination and never let go.
If you want the e-pub file (for iPads ect.) let me know- and I’ll email it to you.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
See this:
Tara and I had went to the movies last week to see a movie we figured both our husbands wouldn’t want to see. We saw The Artist.
image
I recall seeing the previews a while back and thought the movie looked cute. Then I found out it was a silent film…and thought eh… Then it won the academy award for best picture and actor…so I thought what the heck.
And I must say I was pleasantly surprised and happily entertained. The story line was pretty basic, but there was comedy, sadness, drama and love.  What I really enjoyed, after getting used to the fact that there wasn’t any speaking, was the way in which the music told the story and how the use of sound played into the story line.
So go to the theater and see this work of art on the big screen.
image
Oh and there’s a really cute dog in the film…and he looks like Bruiser.
image

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the book recommendation- I just downloaded it to my nook.
    If you like this book you'll probably love Downton Abbey.

    ReplyDelete