Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Getting Closer!!!

Adam’s been working on our table-getting all the parts and pieces figured out, cut and assembled.  I’ve been helping in the how do we build this?…what will work? scenarios, but he’s been the one in the shop and I've been in the dark.
A few weeks ago he sent me this picture of the base all assembled, but held together with clamps.
IMAG0007You can’t tell from the photo, but those long side rails are taller than me! (FYI I'm 69")
It was actually a lot trickier than I first imagined, because the rails have to tie into the legs to support the top, since the top doesn’t rest on the legs. So the pieces were cut like a puzzle to all fit together.
After he did all the cutting and figuring out he brought the pieces home for me to stain.  Originally I wanted a cool dark brown for the base, but when I went to Home Depot they were out of my 1st choice: Jacobean.
image
So not wanting to leave empty handed I grabbed a can of Ebony. 
image
After discussing it with Adam we both decided that the ebony was actually a better choice, since our current furniture in the living room is black.  So while he was off someplace (working?) one Saturday I tool the pieces outside and began staining the super white poplar he had used for our base. It wasn’t as dark and saturated as I would have hoped, but after two coats I was beginning to like it.
IMG_20110517_193818IMG_20110517_193827
These pictures look browner than it really is. 
Finally last week he took all the stained pieces to the shop, assembled the base and put the two halves of the top together.  I kept asking him..how does it look?!?!? Finally last night he stayed late and put the whole thing together-well not permanently, but enough for a photo!
And here she is!
IMAG0025
I was really worried I wouldn’t like it-and it would be too rustic, but I think it looks pretty awesome. And I feel will look even more so when the ends are done and the sides of the table will be enveloped in the same style as the top. Giving the whole table this feeling of a wrapped plane.  Sorry, was that too much archi-dork lingo for you?   But anyway, our next step now is finishing the base and top.  We are weighing our options and getting advise from some woodworking pros on which route will be best. 
First and foremost we want it to be safe to eat off of and as non toxic as possible when applying.  Finding a good Low/no VOC product is important to us.  Next I want it to be low maintenance. Those of you who know me, know I hate cleaning and I don’t want to have to tip toe around it when we’re having a big dinner party-I want someone to spill red wine on it and not have to freak out. Finally I want it to look good.  Adam is leaning towards a satin finish, but I want more of a high gloss modern finish to counter balance all the rustic stuff going on. (I’m not a rustic girl) 
Right now we’re thinking we’ll use an oil rub 1st to bring out the natural colors & grain in the top then seal it with either a lacquer or a polyurethane.  Luckily I have found some “green” products-but we’ll have to do some sample swatches and some comparisons.  It would be nice if we could do it at home, but I’m afraid of all the fumes since we’d have to do it inside (we don’t have a yard. boo hoo) Adam seems to think if we find the right product it will be ok.  Anyone have any recommendations???
All in all we’re excited to get it into the condo and finish it up.  We still have to lay out the leaves/sides, but for now this is great progress!  I see chair shopping in my future!!

No comments:

Post a Comment