Tuesday, May 3, 2011

O-Grandma

It’s with a heavy heart that I must write of the passing of my dear Grandma Hamel. She turned 95 last week and celebrated in style.

IMG_4888

Tomorrow I will board an early flight and head to Muskegon where we will all gather, remember and say our goodbye’s to our beloved grandma.

One thing that I know about grandma’s house is that there were ALWAYS cookies in the freezer.  Seeing as she hasn’t lived in her house in over two years I know there will be no cookies.  So I decided to make some, in her honor, for us all to share while we we’re staying there.

I called my mom and asked for the O-Henry Bar recipe.  I scribbled it on a piece of paper while driving.

IMG_5525   

The recipe isn’t a big family secret or anything, but if you want to try it you can decipher my notes…cause I'm not going to share it. :P

Gathering up all the ingredients I set Pandora to the Polka station and whipped up these easy and yummy cookies-bars…whatever they are.IMG_5524

The wine was for my own benefit and is optional when cooking…I don’t think grandma drank when she cooked, but I know she never turned down a glass!

Saying goodbye will be hard.  But I say goodbye knowing she had a FULL life.  She was a wonderful role model; always helpful and hospitable; patient and kind.  I will keep my memories of my time with her to myself, but I will always cherish the time we spent, just us two, together.

img118

Grandma, I know my cookies won’t do yours justice, but I know my effort would have made you proud.

IMG_5531IMG_5529

2 comments:

  1. Stephanie.... tears swell up in my eyes as I read this awesome tribute to Grandma. She is proud of you and your cookies too. We will all miss her. mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Posting a comment on this blog is difficult if you don't have a profile to select. So I am going anonymous... mom

    ReplyDelete