Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Stephanie Squared

This past Saturday I had tickets to see the Sarasota Ballet perform a trio of Balanchine pieces.  I bought the tickets back in January thinking Adam had the weekend off. But of course as it got closer concerts got scheduled and he had to work.

So I asked my bf, Stephanie. We go back a loooonnnnngggg way; lived in the same small town, went to the same teeny school, danced at the same studio...carpooled ect.  She was two years older and sooo much cooler (in my eyes).  Slowly after a year of carpooling and sitting silently in the backseat we became friends, Best friends.  Toss ANOTHER Stephanie in the mix and we were the “Stephanie’s” 1, 2 & 3.
Like I said S2 and I danced together growing up.  Only she was good-REALLY good.  Unfortuanatly she stopped dancing after she had her son, 11 years ago.  So as we sat there watching the magic of the ballet I think it lit a spark in her again.  She misses it "I want to dance again!".  Watching the company perform brought it all back.   I’m lucky that I still teach and get to dance some, but it’s nothing like really dancing and performing.  I don’t know if I’ll ever do that again, but maybe…someday.

The ballet was excellent we were both very impressed and by far the youngest chickies there (sans a few 8 year olds with granny)  Sarasota is a beautiful city on the gulf, it is also where a lot of people retire.  So while I waited for Stephanie to arrive I watched as car after car dropped of little old ladies a whole hour early to the ballet.  Afterward we chuckled outside as we realized we were a head taller than everyone and that someday that would be us!
Stephanie & I, despite the fact that we live 2 hours away, rarely get to see each other. She has 3 young boys and we both live busy lives. But what’s wonderful is that when we do get together it is like it has always been. Just two Stephanie's talking about life, not holding back and being real.  I think that’s what true friends are.   No matter the distance or the time we get each other and pick up right where we left off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment