Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Sacrifice

3. the surrender or destruction of something prized or desirable for the sake of something considered as having a higher or more pressing claim.
Yes, it is that time again…a little later this year, but Lent is here.  It’s interesting every year to hear about peoples sacrifices they choose to give up and more so the questions I get “Why?” “what’s the purpose?”

I’m not hear to discuss the purpose of Lent the meaning behind it all.  Because honestly, this is something that I have known and lived with for (gulp) 32 years.  It is a 2000+ year tradition, no that’s not the right word, duty? honor? penance?, that my family partakes in. 

My Catholicism is as much as who I am and where I come from as my Prussian/Polish/Fr. Canadian background.  It’s something that just is.  I could run away from it, like a lot of people I know, but then I’d be leaving behind a part of who I am.  And each year as I get older I reflect more and more on the deeper meaning of sacrifice and almsgiving and prayer. 

Now I can’t speak for Adam, but I do try every year to find a vice that will be difficult and not self gratifying (loose weight) to give up, but I also always try to set spiritual goals as well as goals that have to do with making me a better person.  It usually is something like-Don’t have mean thoughts about people, be more patient, don’t be quick to judge.  And honestly those are the hardest to accomplish.

How many times have you walked past a complete stranger and thought “Ug that is the ugliest sweater!” Or cursed someone for cutting you off?  I hate to admit I’m really quick to judge. And deep down it’s embarrassing.  I think to myself, “Stephanie, you don’t know where that person is rushing to-maybe they’re late to work and it’s their last strike.  Or that sweater was her grandma’s whom she just lost.” 

Lent is not only about sacrifice, but about becoming closer to God and living in a way that brings you closer to God.  So I will continue my quest this year to be a better, more kind person-especially to those I don’t know and who don’t know I’m not being kind inside. Because I’m not the only one who hears my thoughts….  I will also be giving something up …. are you ready for this?




Yep. I thought about it and realized that it is one thing in my life that I don’t NEED – nor does it make me a better person – and half the time it is a waste of time. Time I could be putting to better use.  This is going to be hard, because it’s become such a habit, I think it will be more difficult than giving up beer or coffee. (which I’ve done)

At mass today the gospel really clicked with me-it resonated with me because in a way this is how I practice my faith.  I've never been comfortable with preaching my belifes to others and actually become uncomfortable when others do to me.  So I took comfort in hearing these words today and as we begin Lent it's a good refresher on how to deal with the sacrifices we'll be making over these next few weeks.

Matthew 6: 1 - 6, 16 - 18


"Beware of practicing your piety before men in order to be seen by them; for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven.  Thus, when you give alms, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by men. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward.  But when you give alms, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing,  so that your alms may be in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you.
And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by men. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward.
But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you.
And when you fast, do not look dismal, like the hypocrites, for they disfigure their faces that their fasting may be seen by men. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, that your fasting may not be seen by men but by your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you."

As you all enter into the Lenten season please keep a few special people in your prayers; My Aunt Sandy who’s undergoing chemo; My Grandma who is old and ill and hanging on; and my friends father, Johnny, who is also battling cancer.  I will keep you in mine and pray that you too will emerge on Good Friday a better person.

No comments:

Post a Comment