Friday, July 18, 2014

Project Pie: Week 1

For our first pie we chose to go with a blueberry recipe (my favorite pie) since blueberries where on sale and we forgot to look up a recipe before we went to the store.  So the recipe we chose from the 3-4 blueberry options was: Glazed Blueberry Pie.

2014-07-13 16.05.45

Note: I make a very good blueberry pie from a recipe I found a few years ago. I always make my own crust from a super easy recipe and it always turns out perfect. So this pie had a lot to live up to.

First up I tried their crust recipe. This was a single crust pie so I only needed to make and roll out one. Their recipe called for shortening or lard…I ALWAYS use butter, but Adam said “try it there way”. Well I did and I’ll never do it again. I couldn't roll that thing out for the life of me and in the end this is what I ended up with…

2014-07-13 16.05.25

I had to really paste the thing together to fill the pan. In the end it came out ok, not pretty, but it would do.

2014-07-13 16.23.39

This recipe had a lot of cooling between steps, so it’s definitely not a quick go to whip up a pie recipe. I had to wait for the crust to cool and the cream cheese to soften before spreading it on the bottom only to let it re-cool. Finally I added the blueberries.

2014-07-13 18.35.51Not cooked or anything, just raw… (If I were to do this again I would have either used less berries here or tossed them in the with glaze for a moment.) The last step is the glaze. It’s pretty straight forward. Only “tough” part was straining the berries, if you can call it tough.

2014-07-13 18.35.55Then you mix the juice with sugar and cornstarch to make the glaze.2014-07-13 18.45.23

When it thickens you pour it over the berries in the pie. And then let it chill some more.

2014-07-13 18.55.22

Finally around 8 o’clock we finally had a piece of pie. (a good 4 hours after I started)

2014-07-13 20.52.41

It was good, not great. And it was not better then my blueberry pie by a long shot. I think the raw berries were a little odd. But I did like the idea of the cream cheese on the crust. Towards the end of the week the crust was a bit soggy, but it was still good.

Up next is Cream pies. I’m going to let Adam pick it out. I’m really hoping he picks peanut butter…but I have a feeling it will be coconut. Hopefully he’s not to tired Sunday night after his tournament to whip one up!

No comments:

Post a Comment