Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Upgrading

Adam’s new camera takes GREAT photos

They’re clear, crisp, sharp and HUGE Space hogs.

Each picture is 2-3 megabits.  I know we can probably adjust the setting on the camera lower-but then doesn’t that defeat the purpose of taking great shots?

The other night I decided we needed to upload the photos from his camera to my computer-you know for safe keeping. (I also have them on Snap Fish-my backup)  Anyways, I keep all my photos on my backup drive.  When I got this computer I made sure I got a Lot of space- a whole 80 gigs! WOW that was a huge upgrade from my 9 gig laptop from 2001. 

I remember talking with my dad about it and him saying “you’ll never fill up 80 gigs.”  Well guess what.

Yep. Full. And I wasn’t even done putting the picture on the computer yet. 

“Adam!” I yell.  “The hard drive is full, we’re going to need to burn discs or get some other storage” 

The next night Adam is on the computer and tells me for $90 we can get a 2 terabit external hard drive. Tera what???? So we Wikipedia it (seriously never thought that would be a word) and find out that a tera is like 100 million mega or what nots….basically it’s a crap load of memory.  And believe it or not, it’s not the size of volvo!

WD Elements Desktop 2 TB External hard drive - 480 Mbps

This whole situation made me realize that the way we view pictures has completely changed.  For over a 100 years we would get physical photos and put them in a book. I still do this occasionally,  but now the majority of our photos are on our pc and online in “storage banks”. 

This got me thinking, How will my grandchildren flip through my “photo albums”? 

I used to LOVE to look at my grandparents old photos and still pull out my folks’ books when I go home.  There is just something about opening an old book with pictures stuck together that smell a little musty and taking a trip down memory lane or glancing into a page in history.  I really hope that this isn’t lost as technology advances.  I hope that people still print their “best” photos and that our books will be put on a shelf waiting to opened, to be shared and to be cherished.

No comments:

Post a Comment