Thursday, September 8, 2011

I almost lost a boob

If you don’t know, I have a issue with anxiety & pain. I tend to get really nervous and freak out if I know something's going to hurt.
Yep, I’m a big Baby.
So this week I had to go in for a mammogram.
I’ve done it before-and was really surprised how much it didn’t hurt.  After all the horror stories you hear I expected to be in tears. But I wasn’t, maybe it’s because I don’t have much to squish, I don’t know. But anyway the LAST time I went in after it was done I was so relieved I started to black out. My vision went spotty, I couldn’t hear and I was close to falling down. But the nice tech helped sit down and all was good.
Well, this time I went in I was NOT nervous, I knew what to expect and that it wouldn't hurt all that bad.  Then the women says we’ll do the right one first. “What? It’s the left one with the lump” I tell her. And she explains that my dr. wrote the RX for BOTH. “Oh”  Well better safe then sorry, I guess we’re doing both.
So the first two go fine, no biggie, I can do this. I’m almost 33 years old. Grownup Smile Then she does the 45 degree one and I feel a pinch of pain. Ouch.
Then it hits me.
I start seeing stars.
Blood drains from my head.
I breakout in a cold sweat.
I’m getting woozy.
And my right breast is clamped in the machine!
I tell the lady I think I'm passing out and she quickly releases me and sits me down.
( I must note here that it doesn’t help that they tell you to hold your breath when they snap the image…because I’ve been holding my breath the whole time!)
So I sit in the chair with my right breast just hanging out of my gown embarrassed that I caused such a scene. After a while the Tech asks me how I’m doing and I tell her I’m slowly getting back to normal. She looks at the machine then at the chair and says, I think we can do this sitting down.
Thank God!
Cause honestly I think if I had to do it standing up again, I would definitely end up hanging by my boob as I pass out. Not a pretty picture.
Luckily, the chair worked. I got my right side and left side done like a champ.  Even when she used the little paddle. (that one hurts the most!)
Unfortunately I have to go back for a biopsy, just to be safe.  But again I’ve been there, done that, and it’s not that bad.  The lump is Fibroadenomas and it’s pretty common and harmless as long as it doesn’t change. So we’ll go the safe route and make sure I’m all good.
Ah another joy of being a women.

No comments:

Post a Comment