Friday, July 1, 2011

Let there be Light!

Well it’s done-finally-we have a new light fixture in the kitchen!
image
Over a month (or was it two) ago we bought a new fixture at IKEA to replace the old double shop fluorescents that the condo came with.
image
We spent a whopping $40 on this modified track light fixture-hoping it would provide enough light in our tiny kitchen. It sat in the box for a good 2 months…Then finally Adam had some free time and began to tear down the existing frame and lights. I was so happy I bought him beer.
IMG_6170 Being the optimist i thought that this would be a weekend project. But I was quickly told-I have to Mud-sand-paint that will take a day to dry…blah blah blah….so for a whole WEEK we had no light in our kitchen.  luckily the microwave and stove worked and our outlets so Adam could plug in his Hi output halogen shop light that was so bright you couldn’t help but stare at it and then realize you were blind.
Here is the hole (seriously-I studied architecture for how long and I can’t come up with a better word?) Anyway this is where the lights were and our plan was to open it up and put the new fixture there.
IMG_6172IMG_6171
Finally after Adam Sanded and painted (we decided to do the whole cove (is that better?) in the same grey as the walls) He was able to install our new fixture and voila! we had light again!IMG_6707
I quickly realized that the kitchen wasn’t as bright as it was with the fluorescents and that there are some shadow areas, especially by the fridge, but we both decided we liked it and since we use the stove light it would be just fine.
IMG_6706
Being, tall it really helps to make the kitchen feel more open-the ceilings are so low I can touch them with my hand.  And the pretty new fixture brings us into the 21st century. Now if only I could convince him to do the cabinets…IMG_6708

No comments:

Post a Comment