Monday, September 22, 2014

Welcome!

Our entry door is at the top of the stairs and while it’s fully covered Florida rain still gets in and pools outside our door. (don’t even get me started on the numnuts who redid the concrete and forgot about a proper slope!) So with all that rain all summer long our door mats get a beating and don’t last very long.

So when they recently painted the building, and the stupid painters just tossed our mat on the ground at the bottom of the step I looked at the sad bristles and decided it was time for a new one. But this time I didn’t want to shell out another $40 for one that wasn’t going to last. So I recruited my favorite handy man to make one for me based on some I’ve seen.

We went to the Depot one Friday night and purchased 2x2 wolmanized posts (for railing) @ .95 a piece and had them cut down to size.  Then we found some threaded rod, nuts and acorns and washers.  Lastly we picked out a stain. (In hindsight now I wish I would have remembered that they just painted the concrete dark brown-it used to be light gray)

IMG_1356[1]

Adam Drilled three holes in each piece of wood.IMG_1357[1]

Stained them over the course of a few days.

IMG_1358[1]

Then we began assembling the door mat.

IMG_1414[1]

Even Charlie got to help! She LOVES her tool box and can now properly identify hammer and wrench. She also thinks her nails are hammers.

IMG_1412[1]IMG_1413[1]

After all the pieces were on Adam cut the rods down to size and capped them off with the acorn bolts.

IMG_1431[1]

IMG_1430[1]

I love it! I think it will be great and hopefully last a  long time! Dirt can fall through and so can rain. And when there is a puddle there this will lift us up 2” so that we’re not always standing in a pool of water before we enter the house.

IMG_1429[1]

In total I‘d guess the project cost us around $30 and I’d love to do another one (when we have more doors) and play with stain/paint/pattern. Hmmm maybe this would be a nice gift…let’s see…who just bought a house Winking smile

IMG_1432[1]

No comments:

Post a Comment